The Center for Latin American Studies (CLAS) is seeking a new Director, effective fall 2021. This is a five-year position, with possibility of one five-year extension at the end of the first term. We invite applications by tenured Berkeley faculty who are highly qualified and willing to serve. The candidates should have a well-established research and professional reputation as well as leadership and administrative abilities.
About the Center for Latin American Studies (CLAS)
CLAS works to create a community of Latin Americanist students, scholars, and practitioners; to develop innovative policy solutions through our unique network; and to enhance public understanding of Latin American culture and politics in the United States. Since 2020, CLAS is part of Global, International & Area Studies (GIAS), a research cluster composed of the following autonomous units: the Institute of International Studies (IIS), the Institute of Slavic, Eastern European and Eurasian Studies (ISEEES), the Institute for South Asia Studies (ISAS), the Center for African Studies (CAS), the Center for Latin American Studies (CLAS), the Institute of European Studies (IES), the Center for Middle Eastern Studies (CMES), and the Canadian Studies Program (CSP). The new CLAS director will represent CLAS at the GIAS faculty board.
Applicants must be a tenured Berkeley faculty member and should demonstrate the following criteria:
- A distinguished record of scholarship in Latin American Studies, broadly conceived,
- Leadership qualities to provide a forward-looking vision,
- The willingness and competence to engage in fundraising efforts and grant applications in order to sustain and expand financial resources,
- The capacity to foster innovative interdisciplinary research in Latin American Studies,
- The ability to promote outreach to the campus, policy-making constituents, and the general public
- Proven track record around Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion, and commitment to UC Berkeley's Principles of Community
- Fluent in Spanish and/or Portuguese
Candidates interested in the position are requested to send a statement of interest (4 pages max) with a brief description of a vision for CLAS (max 4 pages) and a CV as one pdf form as an e-mail attachment to Gia White at email@example.com, with subject line “Directorship, Center for Latin American Studies,” no later than March 29, 2021. All suitable candidates for the position will be contacted by the chair of the search advisory committee. Interviews for the position will take place in April 2021.