The Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research has overall managerial responsibility for Berkeley's research enterprise. It seeks to maintain a research environment that fosters creativity, collaboration and community. Its specific goals are to provide effective support for campus-wide research efforts; to advocate for research needs and resources; and to maximize the benefits of Berkeley's research to the scholarly community, and to the quality of life in the local community, the state, and the nation.
- Strategically promote Berkeley innovation and entrepreneurship ecosystem through team building with external entities (external funds, potential licensees) while promoting our activities to our postdocs, grad students, and faculty.
- Provide overall leadership for Berkeley’s intellectual property licensing strategy, organization, and procedures from the perspective of the campus inventor to make ensure a transparent and inventor-friendly interface that also maximizes returns for the campus and positive impact for the world.
- Take a lead role in developing innovative mechanisms for maximizing returns to the University of California, in support of its public mission.
- Make Berkeley’s ecosystem easier to navigate by both internal and external constituencies in part by transforming Intellectual Property and Industry Research Alliances (IPIRA) into the “hub” for entrepreneurship on campus to interface with and help support the “spokes” on campus such as CITRIS Foundry, Berkeley-Haas Entrepreneurship, all campus facing VC funds, Sutardja Center for Entrepreneurship and Technology, etc.
- Interact with senior management on controversial situations, intellectual property, patent and licensing negotiations, or influencing and persuading other senior level managers or external executives.
- Work with VCR to establish a technology advisory board that will provide ongoing guidance and expertise to CIEO on such matters as technology valuation, IP portfolio management and strategy, and litigation of valuable patents.
- Entrepreneurial executive with significant experience in private industry or a combination of industry and academia.
- Experience with business development and sophisticated models of financial investment in business partnerships designed to drive innovation and industry transformation.
- Experience with intellectual property management.
- Highly sophisticated skills in strategy development, systems planning and change management.
- Ability to establish mission and goals at the macro-level; to lead subordinate management to develop goals in alignment with mission.
- Ability to collaborate with diverse faculty in a top tier academic setting to influence cross-functionally with key stakeholders.
- Interpersonal skills to effectively lead, motivate and influence various internal and external stakeholders.
- Expert leadership abilities to establish department goals, and motivate and influence others to achieve.
- Highly sophisticated knowledge of administrative management theory and ability to translate into practice.
- Ability to establish metrics for department and employee goals which measure effectiveness of contributions to efficient operations of department.
- Expert skills to work collaboratively and act persuasively in sensitive situations; skills in conflict management techniques.
- Demonstrated skills in employee supervision.
- Expert ability to navigate complex and matrix organizations and organizational policies.
- Expert level verbal and written communication skills and presentation skills.
- Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experiences/training.
- Entrepreneurial experience in a leveraged organization generating significant revenue
- Experience working in a venture capital or private equity portfolio company.
- Advanced degree in STEM field, MBA, and/or JD
- Experience working in and/or with research focused higher education institution.
How to Apply
Application review will begin February 11, 2019.
Job title and ID: Chief Innovation & Entrepreneurship Officer (0550U) #26229
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.