How to Apply
Applications for the 2023 cycle are due on March 15, 2023 (11:59PM).
Awards will be for $45,000 for one year. Please review the proposal guidelines and upload your application materials below. If you have questions about overall program parameters and guidelines, please consult our program FAQs. Please contact email@example.com if you have any additional questions.
The program is restricted to full-time UC Berkeley and UCSF faculty at the Assistant, Associate, and Full Professor ranks of any professional series (including, but not limited to adjunct, in-residence, health sciences, clinical, and professor of clinical optometry).
Proposals are reviewed by faculty peers from STEM departments from both campuses. Please be cognizant that reviewers will come from different STEM disciplines, so proposals should be accessible for a general scientific community.
Please submit the following as a single pdf via this application form.
- Cover Page & Abstract (one page max)
- Applicant and collaborator’s name
- Rank/Title and affiliations for both collaborators
- Project abstract, which should clearly outline the overarching goals of the research proposal in a way that is accessible to a lay-audience (200 words max).
- Research Project Description (up to four pages, excluding references, CV, and budget justification)
- It should promote the convergence of biomedical, physical, and engineering fields to foster the innovations necessary for meeting the health care challenges of the future.
- Budget Justification: A detailed budget is not required, however an outline/justification of how the support will enhance the project is required. The funding may be used to support research expenses, including but not limited to:
- performing experiments
- analyzing research data
- supporting workshops
- research travel
- supporting postdocs, graduate, or undergraduate research assistants
- PI salary, including summer salary, is not an allowable expense.
- You do not need to deduct any overhead
- The application does not need to be reviewed by the Sponsored Projects Office (UCB) or Contracts & Grants (UCSF)
- CV or Biosketch (abridged, two-page format) for the PI and collaborator.
Applications should be submitted directly via this application form.