Compliance is integral to the success of your research project. Beginning at the time you start thinking about your project and throughout the life of your grant, work with campus compliance offices to ensure your research is and remains compliant with university policies, state and federal laws, and funding agency requirements.


Compliance and Integrity

My research uses vertebrate animals.

Office for Animal Care and Use (OACU)

The Office for Animal Care and Use (OACU) oversees the use of live vertebrate animals in research, teaching, and education.

My research may use human subjects.

Office for Protection of Human Subjects (OPHS)

Human subject research review and approval. The Committee for Protection of Human Subjects (CPHS) must review and approve all faculty, staff, and student research activities involving human subjects, regardless of funding source or whether the activity is funded. The Office for Protection of Human Subjects (OPHS) determines exemptions. 

Policy requires that I submit conflict of interest forms for my research.

Conflict of Interest (COI)

Many funding agencies require disclosures of conflicts of interest in order to demonstrate objectivity in research.  

What is conflict of interest? Conflict of interest is a situation in which an investigator’s outside financial interest(s) or obligation(s), real or perceived, have the potential to bias a research project or cause harm to human subjects participating in a research project.

Financial disclosure requirements. See a comparison of federal, state, and university requirements and policies for disclosing outside financial interests which may bias, or appear to bias, research.

Conflict of Interest Committee. Get additional COI information and resources.

Process for completing COI forms. Your Berkeley Regional Services Research Administrator will provide you the necessary forms during the proposal submission process.  If you need to access the forms directly, you can access them on the Sponsored Projects Office forms page.

My research may have export control requirements or issues.

What is export control?

Export control laws. Federal regulations control the conditions under which certain information, technologies, and commodities can be transmitted overseas to anyone, including U.S. citizens, or to a foreign national on U.S. soil. Export control laws are implemented by the Department of Commerce through Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and the Department of State through International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).

Getting help: 

  • Submit an Export Control Service Request Form for assistance with an export control matter. This will ensure that your request/question is noted, time stamped, and tracked. For follow up questions after submitting the form, please contact
  • Contact for assistance with any of the following:
    • Shipping an export control item internationally. Controlled Items are found in two areas:
    • Travel to a federally sanctioned country.
    • Travel internationally with university equipment.
    • Paying individuals based in a sanctioned country.
    • Online instruction of students from sanctioned countries.
    • Collaborating on research with individuals from sanctioned countries.
    • Vetting visitors, partners, and sponsors for restricted entity status.
    • Vetting individuals who could be on a restricted persons list.
    • Sharing technology or technical data to foreign persons on U.S. soil or abroad.
    • Do's and don'ts
    • Frequently asked questions.


My research uses biological materials or controlled substances.

Environment, Health, & Safety (EH&S) guidance and services. Environment, Health, & Safety (EH&S) provides guidance and services to the campus community that promote health, safety, and environmental stewardship, including:

My grant requires Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) training.

RCR training. The Responsible Conduct of Research Officer offers classroom courses and online programs for faculty, post-docs, and graduate students, including RCR and RRR (Rigor and Reproducibility in Research) training.

Grants requiring RCR and Rigor and Reproducibility in Research (RRR) written plans. Contact the RCR Program Manager for writing assistance and materials.

How do the University of California Principles of Research affect my research?

The Principles Regarding Rights to Future Research Results in University Agreements with External Parties. The Principles Regarding Rights to Future Research Results in University Agreements with External Parties (pdf) policy establishes the fundamental parameters for negotiating agreements with external parties to address rights and obligations associated with future university research results. This policy applies to any UC agreement with others that addresses future research results, whether that agreement is administratively managed as a contract or grant, a procurement, a sales and services contract, or is in another form.

What Standards of Ethical Conduct apply to my research?

Code of conduct. Pursuit of the University of California mission of teaching, research, and public service requires a shared commitment to the core values of the university as well as a commitment to the ethical conduct of all University activities. In that spirit, the Standards of Ethical Conduct are a statement of our belief in ethical, legal, and professional behavior in all of our dealings inside and outside the university. The UC standards of ethical conduct were adopted by the Regents of the University of California, May 2005.

Where can I find campus guidance related to international activities and agreements?

Foreign influence has become an increasingly relevant and important topic in research awards and proposals. Visit the Research Administration and Compliance office’s International Connections and Foreign Influences website for guidance on foreign influence topics. Other resources include: