UC Berkeley is consistently ranked among the five top research universities in the world, along with Harvard, Stanford, MIT and others. Berkeley is the top-ranked public university.
According to numerous surveys, UC Berkeley is ranked in the top five across many subject areas. According to the Shanghai Ranking's Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2021, UC Berkeley's highest ranked fields include:
- Automation and control
- Computer science and engineering
- Electrical and electronic engineering
- Materials science and engineering
- Political Science
These rankings, compiled by ShanghaiRankings Consultancy, compare the top 500 higher education institutions worldwide, public and private. It uses a variety of indicators of academic or research performance, including:
- Nobel Prizes and other international awards won by alumni and faculty or staff.
- Highly-cited researchers in 52 broad subject categories.
- Articles published in selected top journals and noted in major citation indexes.
U.S. News and World Reports uses 13 indicators to calculate Best Global Universities with an emphasis on academic research and overall reputation. UC Berkeley ranks #4 in its overall ranking of global universities, and has consistently been ranked within the top 5 across many subject areas including:
- Biology and Biochemistry
- Biotechnology and Applied Microbiology
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science
- Economics & Business
- Environment & Ecology
- Plant & Animal Science
- Space Science