Phase 3 Guidelines for Faculty & Researchers
Posted October 2020
Faculty and researchers wishing to proceed with Phase 3 laboratory density should request new Phase 3 densities from with their Building Oversight Committee and use the following guidelines and templates complete new Phase 3 density management plans. PIs can proceed with Phase 3 implementation once a) their plan has been approved by their Building Oversight Committee and 2) their building is approved for Phase 3 by the Vice Chancellor for Research and Joint Planning Committee for Academic Buildings (JPCAB).
LABORATORY RESEARCH ACTIVITIES (INCLUDING ENGINEERING, DESIGN AND FABRICATION SPACES)
- Guidelines for Onsite Laboratory Research Activities
- Density Management Plan submission form for Laboratory Research
(to be completed by faculty PIs for submission to the relevant Building Oversight Committee)
RESEARCH INVOLVING HUMAN SUBJECTS
- Supplemental Guidelines for Resumption of Human Subjects Research for Phases 2 and 3 (including off-campus and international human subjects research) - New 11/5/20
- Human Subjects Proposal Supplement Form
In-person human subjects research involving non-UC Berkeley affiliated participants is now allowed under Research Recovery Phase 3 - up to a maximum of 50 individuals campuswide per day. Numbers of participants must be reported to VCRO.
Please read the updated guidelines in full as several instructions have been updated, including instructions for submitting completed forms, requirements for permitting and tracking non-UCB affiliated in-person human subjects, and options for participant symptom screening.
*NOTE: Research involving non-UCB affiliated human subjects is suspended as of December 7 under the Bay Area ‘stay at home orders’ and subsequent ‘purple tier’ status in Alameda County. Such subjects will be allowed again when Alameda County and City of Berkeley move back to the ‘red tier’.
CORE RESEARCH FACILITIES
- Supplemental Guidelines for Core Research Facilities
- Density Management Plan submission form for Core Facilities
(to be completed by core facility directors for submission to the relevant Building Oversight Committee)
No changes in density are allowed in animal research spaces under Phase 3. Please see Phase 2 Supplemental Guidelines for Increasing Onsite Animal Research for instructions on managing animal research.
RESEARCH IN OFFICE AND ARTS SPACES
- Please see guidelines for academic buildings on the Joint Planning Committee for Academic Buildings (JPCAB) website.
GUIDELINES FOR OFF-CAMPUS & FIELD RESEARCH/TRAVEL
UC Berkeley faculty, staff, and students planning to conduct university-related travel in the coming months should review UC Berkeley’s guidance on travel before making travel plans during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Research travel: All off-campus research – domestic or international – must receive prior approval from VC Research until further notice. Please submit requests to the VC Research critical field research continuity review process. Contact email@example.com with questions.
- International travel: Per UCOP guidelines, UC Berkeley is also advised to avoid all non-essential university-related international travel until further notice. International travelers must also complete a secondary process, UC Berkeley’s Protocol for Essential International Travel, to seek approval from the Vice Provost for Academic Planning. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
- For additional guidelines for international human subjects research, please see Human Subjects guidelines, above.
University-related travel is defined by UC Berkeley as essential if it is required to:
- Preserve the safety of a research subject and is not possible to be postponed.
- Preserve the results of a research activity and is not possible to be postponed.
Please refer to https://coronavirus.berkeley.edu/travel/ for more information about the campus’ travel protocols, travel insurance, and travel reimbursement for faculty, staff, and students. Travelers should allow at least 21 days for the approval process prior to booking flights.