Guidelines for Faculty & Researchers
As faculty and researchers plan their return to campus during Phase 2, they will be using the guidelines and templates below to share how their plans will support and comply with campus-wide guidance as well as building specific personnel density targets. Faculty will be invited to submit their planning documents only AFTER a building has been approved by the cognizant dean(s) and the Vice Chancellor for Research for Phase 2 resumption of research activities. Please do not submit these forms unless prompted by your Dean or Building Oversight Committee. The guidelines take into account the different research activities that take place in laboratory, engineering, design and fabrication settings; in core facilities; as well as office and performance spaces. Special guidance applies to research involving animals or human subjects or activities that require research travel.
LABORATORY RESEARCH ACTIVITIES (including engineering, design and fabrication spaces)
- Guidelines for Increasing Onsite Laboratory Research Activities
- EH&S Laboratory Start-Up Guidelines
- EH&S Research Ramp-Up Standard Operating Procedures Template
- Density Management Proposal Form for Laboratory Research
(to be completed by faculty PIs and research unit/facility directors for submission to the relevant Building Oversight Committee)
- Researchers should also consult the EH&S Researcher Guide to Routine Sanitizing and Housekeeping.
- Supplemental Guidelines for Increasing Onsite Animal Research
- Animal Research Proposal Supplement Form
(to be completed by faculty PIs for submission to the relevant Building Oversight Committee and for review by the Animal Care oversight committee)
RESEARCH INVOLVING HUMAN SUBJECTS
- Supplemental Guidelines for Resumption of Human Subjects Research for Phase 2 and 3 (including off-campus and international human subjects research) - New 11/5/20
- Human Subjects Proposal Supplement Form
Note: In-person human subjects research involving non-UC Berkeley affiliated participants is now allowed under Research Recovery Phase 3 - up to a maximum of 50 individuals campuswide per day. Please read updated guideline above for instructions on requirements for tracking of the number of participants.
CORE RESEARCH FACILITIES
- Supplemental Guidelines for Core Research Facilities
- Sample Detailed Standard Operating Procedures Template for a Core Facility or Shop
- Core Facilities Proposal Supplement Form
(to be completed by core facility directors, faculty PIs, staff for submission to the relevant Building Oversight Committee)
RESEARCH IN OFFICE AND ARTS SPACES
- Please see guidelines for academic buildings on the Joint Planning Committee for Academic Buildings (JPCAB) website.
GUIDELINES FOR OFF-CAMPUS & FIELD RESEARCH/TRAVEL
- Please submit an exceptional request through the VC Research Office.
- For international human subjects research, please see Human Subjects guidelines, above.
- More detailed guidance for international research is being developed (October 2020).