Improving Research Administration Project
Welcome to the homepage of the Research Administration Improvement Initiative. This initiative was launched in the Spring of 2016 in order to improve UC Berkeley’s research support services by focusing on re-engineering existing research end-to-end processes, revamping the service delivery model to faculty and units, and improving the campus’s organizational culture. Here you will find an overview of the project, progress to date, and ongoing updates as the project continues.
UC Berkeley is a premier research university, highly rated for the quality and breadth of our research programs and the distinction of our faculty who continue to create and advance global knowledge and result in societal progress. To sustain our place as a world-leading research institution, and ensure we attract, obtain, and effectively execute research projects, we must improve our current research administration infrastructure.
Case for Change
The campus has instances of excellent research support, but some significant challenges have been identified. Key campus stakeholders have shared in interviews that our research support services have deteriorated due to misaligned organizational structures and processes. They have expressed the need for a thorough review, assessment, and improvement of the existing research administration end-to-end processes as well as the current model for the service interface to faculty and units.
- Simplify and streamline the research administration end-to-end business process to create an efficient and more customer-oriented operation.
- Simplify policies and controls while also maintaining compliance with our federal, state, and private funders.
- Provide an integrated service model where staff across the areas of research administration, human resources, academic personnel, and business services work together to serve faculty and units through regional service centers.
- Establish clearly defined roles and responsibilities for all campus partners involved in research administration to a) ensure campus community knows where to go for assistance, b) each office is clear on what each office is responsible for and when to refer a customer to another office, c) foster an accountability-focused environment.
- Foster an organization that focuses on continuous improvement by creating a sustainable framework designed to manage end-to-end processes on an ongoing basis, including the establishment of process owner(s) accountable for process performance and maintenance.
- Promote and foster a campus culture of respect and civility between faculty, staff and students, and between academic and administrative units.