Improving Research Administration - Project Progress
March – May 2016
- Conducted 3 faculty forums to obtain feedback on current research administration issues
- Established research administration advisory group comprised of faculty and staff
- Identified two initial processes for improvement (Conflict of Interest and the Award Set Up Process)
- Established process improvement methodology
- Formed working groups for process improvement projects
June – August 2016
- Conducted a working session with a cross-functional group of campus administrators to complete a high-level end-to-end map of research administration processes.
- Developed an initial process inventory listing targeted processes for improvement.
- Conducted a series of working sessions with representatives from CSS, CGA and SPO to examine the award set up process. The working sessions mapped out current process, and identified issues and solutions to improve the process. The working group is currently working to develop implementation/roll-out plans to ensure successful deployment of the solutions.
- Identified several issues in the conflict of interest disclosure process and implemented solutions to solve these issues. Improvements that have been implemented within this timeframe include a rolling weekly review of non-controversial financial disclosures as well as the ability for PIs to request early review of NIH COI financial disclosures.
- Conducted 35 interviews on a regional service interface model and compiled feedback to inform the work on structure
- The VCR began a faculty/staff listening tour. He met with campus administrative staff through the summer. These meetings will continue in the fall and be extended to include meetings with campus faculty.
September - November 2016
- The Vice Chancellor for Research, Paul Alivisatos, held a series of faculty forums in the month of October to provide a status update on the Research Administration Improvement initiative as well as gather faculty from across the campus to collect feedback
- The project team is currently working on two process improvement efforts: the Award Set Up Process and the Proposal Development and Submission Process. As for the Award Set Up process the team has identified a set of solutions and is currently in the process of implementing those solutions. Several have already been implemented and others are still in progress. For more detail on the award set up process please click here. As far as the Proposal Development and Submission Process is concerned, we have established a working group, mapped out the current state process and conducted a series of pain/waste sessions with various stakeholder groups, faculty, staff, RAs, etc. We are now in the process of developing a set of solutions to address those issues. For more detail on the proposal development and submission process please click here
- We have formed the Committee on Research Administration Services Delivery Structure to assist in the development of a new service delivery model structure. The Committee is comprised of staff and faculty and has met twice so far. Initial areas of focus for the Committee include establishing groupings, identifying potential pilots, discussing technology and governance structure for a new model. The next committee meeting is scheduled to take place on December 12.