UC Berkeley is consistently ranked among the five top research universities in the world, along with Harvard, Stanford, MIT and others. Berkeley is the top-ranked public university.
For further details, see the
- 2016 Ranking of Global Universities compiled by U.S. News & World Report
- 2016 Academic Ranking of World Universities compiled by Shanghai Jiaotong University
According to the 2016 Academic Ranking of World Universities UC Berkeley is ranked in the top three across two broad subject fields: Natural Sciences and Mathematics , and Social Science.
In 5 discipline areas, UC Berkeley is consistently in the top: #4 in Mathematics, #1 in Physics, #1 in Chemistry, #3 in Computer Science, and #4 in Economics.
These rankings, compiled by Shanghai Jiao Tong University, compare the top 500 higher education institutions worldwide, public and private. It uses a variety of indicators of academic or research performance, including:
- Nobel Prizes and other international awards won by alumni and faculty or staff.
- Highly-cited researchers in 21 broad subject categories.
- Articles published in selected top journals and noted in major citation indexes.
In the 2016 ranking of Global Universities, U.S. News & World Report ranks UC Berkeley #4 in its overall ranking of global universities and places it within the top 5 in a number of subject areas.
U.S. News and World Reports uses 10 indicators to calculate Best Global Universities with an emphasis on academic research and overall reputation.