Fund your research
- About BRDO
- BRDO Services
- Funding Opportunities
- Resources and Training
- Addressing Broader Impacts
Berkeley Research Development Office
BRDO staff work with the PI and his/her proposal team and provide a range of proposal services, from high-level strategic consulting and feedback on specific approaches, to more comprehensive support, depending on the nature of each proposal. Specific services will be discussed with the PI on a case-by-case basis but may include:
- Process Coordination
- Facilitating collaborations (organizing meetings, file sharing, and communication).
- Coordinating development of various proposal components (scientific and non-scientific).
- Assisting with task divisions and timelines.
- Interfacing with CSS RA and SPO CGO to help ensure a smooth, coordinated submission.
- Conceptual Advice
- Assessing the fit of the proposed project to the solicitation and the funding agency.
- Clarifying solicitation requirements and options for addressing them.
- Advising on sponsor's mission and review criteria during content development to refine responsiveness of the proposal.
- Advising on best practices for and helping to develop and write non-scientific sections:
- Plans for management, training, data sharing, evaluation, etc.
- Plans for broader impacts or education and outreach plans.
- Document Writing, Editing, and Formatting
- Helping to structure and present proposal text for clarity, concision, and impact.
- Assisting with writing of various (non-scientific) proposal components.
- Editing proposal components so that reviewers can quickly identify the main messages, locate pertinent information, and follow the flow of the proposal.
- Helping to articulate the significance, innovation, and potential impact of the proposed work.
- Formatting for compliance, presentation, and consistency – across all components.
- Document Review
- Reviewing documents for completeness, responsiveness, and competitiveness by checking them against the solicitation and review criteria. (Not to replace official RA or SPO reviews.)
- Addressing common compliance issues early to reduce number of problems identified by SPO that require correction in last few days before deadline.
- Other Tasks as Required
- Aiding with the preparation of other proposal elements (e.g., biosketch formatting, data gathering, reference formatting).
- Providing Resources
- Creating and sharing proposal outlines and example documents
- Collecting and maintaining guidelines, tips, and tools on our website
- Supporting site visits and reviews.
Contact us to see whether BRDO can help you with your project (or to suggest other services we should consider).