How to Apply
Bakar Fellows Program
How to Apply
Applications are now open for the Bakar Spark Fund for UC Berkeley faculty proposing projects with significant commercial potential. In 2017, the Program will award up to five 2-year Spark Fund research development grants of up to $75,000/year. The awards provide discretionary funds for research in the STEM+ fields (Engineering, Computer Science, Chemistry, Biological Sciences, Physical Sciences, and Architecture). The Bakar Spark Fund seeks to identify and catalyze research (even early stage) that holds commercial promise.
New in 2017: After the successful completion of a two-year Spark Fund award, recipients will be eligible to compete for a Bakar Innovation Incentive Prize of up to $300,000 (one-time) discretionary support starting in 2019.
Pioneered at UC Berkeley, the Bakar Fellows Program catalyzes commercialization of innovative research by supporting aspiring faculty-entrepreneurs and their research teams. Examples of successful Spark Fund outcomes include creating and licensing of intellectual property rights, new industry partnerships and/or the creation of a new company.
The general program parameters are explained in the FAQ available here.
Using language suitable for a well-informed but broad audience, please address the following points in a 3-page application (1,000 word limit, including figures and references):
- What is the problem you are solving or the question you are answering?
- What is the advantage of your solution?
- Who will benefit from your innovation?
- What is your plan and timeline for commercialization of your innovation?
- How will the Bakar Spark Fund facilitate achievement of your goals?
- Identify a senior graduate student (>5th year) or postdoctoral scholar who will team with you on your proposed Spark Fund project.
UC Berkeley academic senate faculty are eligible to apply. Please upload applications by midnight PST on March 1, 2017.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.